Hi, can you make this post sticky please.
This message is written by the French "Association de Paralpinisme" bureau
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.
The recent events in Chamonix are jeopardizing our activity in the valley. While minor incidents during the season were reported to the authorities, the last accident directly hit the city center and make the situation difficult to control and hard to argue against temporary banishment of the activity.
Our association will defend our sport to keep jumping in the valley, however hours of meeting with the authorities can be shattered by one jumper's mistake. So we need a full support from the jumper community to decrease the pressure over the Chamonix valley, especially until the end of the year.
Here is a reminder of the rules:
- Every flying object/person must be insured with a civil responsibility insurance (responsabilité aérienne) covering damage to others.
Basic flying rules:
- No flight in wingsuit over cities
- No low pull
- No flight next to people or refugee (no flyby), Gondola and Cables.
Local rules :
- Always call the PGHM +33 (0)4 50 53 16 89 and CMBH +33 (0)4 50 54 13 82 before jumping to avoid collision with Rescue and Helicopters
- Respect the jumping hours
- Respect the authorized landing areas
- Information is available at cable car station
- Don't pack anywhere / Ask if you can pack in doubt.
- Be polite and kind to local people and tourists
- If you have any kind of emergency landing, explain calmly and apologize for the situation.
- Don't walk and land into high grass fields
- Be aware of wind direction and its effect on the terrain. Don't hesitate to ask local jumpers or paragliders.
BASE Jumping basic checks:
- Check your pins, your pilot chute, leg straps, chest strap, wingsuit zips, double check other jumpers
- Winter is coming, you will have more layers under your wingsuits and probably gloves, check that you can reach your pilot chute with your equipment.
- Refresh your skills in terms of line twists situation, especially with gloves.
- Always have a plan B for your jump, plan Z is and should always be : "Pitch in any doubt"
There will be changes in Chamonix.
This valley is one of the key place of the sport, if we are not behaving perfectly in Chamonix, then nothing will save us from banishment.
The image of our sport is in your hands !!!!
From the French "Association de Paralpinisme"
Rodolphe Cassan - Président
Antoine Laporte - Secrétaire
Julien Millot - Trésorier